Rape Culture In India

Worried Girl

On campuses throughout North America – Canada as well as the US – radical-feminists have poisoned the atmosphere with their specious nonsense about rape culture, brainwashing young women into believing they have been raped if they regret having sex days, weeks or years after the event. One daffy student, Emma Sulkowicz, has spent the past few months hulking around a mattress as proof of her suffering after her allegation of rape against another student was dismissed.

In India though, things are very different; rape is a relatively rare crime in the West, and it is seldom fatal, but in December 2012, the rape of a young woman in New Delhi sent shockwaves through not simply the city, nor the sub-continent, but the entire world. The victim was kidnapped by a gang of miscreants, brutalised and literally raped to death. After the terrible deed she was dumped by the roadside with her male friend, who had also been brutalised. She died in hospital nearly two weeks later.

The suspects were arrested promptly, and wanting rightly to send out a message that crimes of this nature will not be tolerated, the court fast tracked the case. The one juvenile member of the gang was given the incredibly lenient sentence of three years, the maximum the law permitted, but the others were sentenced to death. The consensus appears to be that in this case that sentence is warranted.

On Tuesday night, the BBC here in the UK screened an interview with one of the guilty men, and his shocking show of defiance does nothing to detract from that consensus. The BBC spoke to convicted rapist and murderer Mukesh Singh for a documentary, India’s Daughter, to be screened Sunday, but the Indian police have secured an injunction to ban broadcast of the interview there.

According to Singh, a decent girl will not roam around at 9 o’clock at night, which begs the question when would a decent man rape any girl? About 20% of girls are good, he says, which appears to indicate that the remaining 80% are fair game for monsters like him. The BBC also interviewed another rapist, who had raped a 5 year old child. His response was that she was a beggar girl and that therefore her life was of “no value”.

It is tempting to dismiss these sort of callous remarks as the self-justification of the psychopath, but the truth is that this attitude is shockingly common in certain parts of Indian society. A man such as child rapist Gaurav would be despised and attacked even in a British prison. The Delhi rapists have not only been convicted but their death sentences were upheld by the High Court a year ago this month, which begs the question why have they not yet been hanged as was originally intended in the event of their conviction?

About the author

Alexander Baron